Monday 7 January 2013

Where I come from

I didn't set out to pick photos chronologically but I guess it makes sense to show some early pix that also tell a bit about where I come from quite literally. This is a portrait of my grand-mother, Raymonde (daughter of Louise featured in my first post),  taken when she was 87 years old. She always hated having her picture taken but I abused my privilege as her only grand-child to bully her into posing for me.
Raymonde Ménard, my grand-mother
On the same day, I asked my mum to pose for me. I'd read about the principle of the "nude portrait", or that if you take a portrait of a person naked - you don't show their nudity - somehow the expression on their face is more truthful,  their true self is revealed. I suspect it is only because the person feels more vulnerable that it seems to work well with some people. To her credit - and my disbelief - my mother played the game that time.
Jeannine Joly, my mother

No comments:

Post a Comment